California State Director
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a State Director based in Oakland to oversee our programs in California. Clean Water Action (CWA) is a national citizens’ organization working for clean, safe, affordable water, prevention of health threatening pollution, creation of environmentally safe jobs and businesses, and empowerment of people to make democracy work. Clean Water Action has over one million members nationally and almost 50,000 members in California. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues relating to water, waste and toxics.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund campaigns in California focus on preventing and remediating pollution by protecting water resources from contamination and degradation; reducing damage to the environment and public health from oil and gas production; limiting litter and marine waste by promoting use of reusable products instead of single-use disposable items; and safeguarding public health by promoting the use of less toxic ingredients in consumer products and packaging.
- Overall responsibility for leading and developing Clean Water’s work in California, including the following specific responsibilities:
- Develop and implement fundraising plans with state and national staff, coordinating efforts to raise funds from foundations, individual donors and other sources.
- Develop and oversee California campaigns, including legislative and electoral campaigns, coalition building, research/policy development and public education. Provide direction to local and state campaigns, help implement national campaigns.
- Oversee administrative and financial management systems and strategies, including budgets and other financial management tools.
- Hire, train, supervise program staff.
- Provide program direction and support for field and phone canvass programs. Work in partnership with canvass leadership to build strong canvass programs.
- Help support efforts to diversify Clean Water’s workforce and expand its work in support of communities of color.
- Represent Clean Water in work with other organizations, public officials, funders and the media.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- Successful fundraising experience with foundations, major donors, corporations and events.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership to build the organization and its programs.
- Extensive experience as a manager in a non-profit organization. Administrative and operational management experience, including the ability to manage diverse projects and personnel, budgets and multiple priorities.
- Ability to supervise, support and develop staff and volunteers, including people located in different cities.
- Experience developing and working with leadership bodies such as boards of directors, campaign or coalition steering committees.
- Extensive experience with issue and campaign organizing. Environmental experience is preferred though not required. Experience with grassroots and coalition organizing and campaigns is highly desirable, as is experience with electoral campaigns.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, computer literacy.
- Experience with professional canvass programs is highly desirable.
- Regular travel throughout California and to occasional national gatherings required.
- Compensation depending on qualifications. Attractive benefits package.
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
To apply, please send letter of interest and resume to CADirectorSearch@cleanwater.org