ReThink Organizer - North Jersey
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund seeks a highly motivated part time organizer to help implement their Garden State-based zero waste and ReThink DisposableTM programs. The goal is to reduce the amount of litter and debris in the waterways that lead into Newark Bay and solid waste generated, landfilled or incinerated. Particular focus will be given to reducing and eliminating “single use disposables” (SUDs) in the food industry, particularly food vendors and trucks, restaurants and events. This position is geographically focused in Montclair and Newark, NJ.
Clean Water Action is a one million member organization (with 150,000 members in NJ) working to protect our environment, health, economic well-being and community quality of life. Our goals include clean, safe and affordable water; preventing health threatening pollution; increasing environmentally safe jobs and businesses; and empowering people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund is a separate, but closely associated 501(c)(3) organization that is engaged in education, research, public outreach, training and advocacy.
- Coordinate activities primarily at the local level. Serve as a regional resource as needed. Integrate NJ effort with national Clean Water Action’s ReThink DisposableTM campaign where appropriate.
- Recruit and sustain project participants and organizations. Facilitate collaborative efforts between project partners, residents, organizations, public officials, businesses and other entities to develop and implement long lasting solutions that reduce debris in waterways and bays, particularly SUDs.
- Conduct public outreach and engagement activities. Coordinate organizational and programmatic events, trainings, and educational presentations.
- Research and advance pertinent zero waste policies and implementation strategies, including green jobs opportunities.
- Produce content and utilize online, social media (Twitter and Facebook) and print communications (e.g. invitations, brochures, factsheets, displays, etc.)
- Perform data entry, additional computer and administrative tasks, as needed.
- Undertake other assignments as directed by supervisor.
- Passion for positive change, protecting human health and the environment
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential; social media skills a big plus
- Solid computer skills are a must (Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet, data bases, etc.)
- Experience with organizing events, educational forums including workshops, trainings, and small group interactive activities
- Good researcher
- Able to identify, modify and implement other zero waste models for this New Jersey project
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, can multi-task and meet deadlines
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to navigate approval processes of institutions, businesses and local government
Send resume and brief statement of interest to: Amy Goldsmith, NJ State Director at email@example.com