Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an experienced Chief Financial & Administrative Officer (CFAO) to work in our suburban Detroit MI Financial Office or our Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC or Minneapolis offices. Clean Water Action is a national 501(c)(4) grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems. Clean Water Fund is a national 501(c)(3) research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics. Both organizations are committed to becoming anti-racist organizations.
As the Chief Financial Officer of the corporations, the CFAO will be responsible for planning, implementing and managing the financial activities of the corporations, including budgeting, cash flow projections, payroll and expense payment and tracking. The CFAO will lead the Financial Department, managing income processing, bill payment and accounting procedures, ensuring that records of income and expenses are kept properly, preparing financial reports for the CEO and Boards, and assisting in the annual audit. The CFAO will also help provide operational leadership for the corporations, reviewing contracts and memoranda for services and revenue.
The CFAO will supervise 5-6 Financial Department staff people and ensure that managers in all offices around the country are properly trained train and supported in financial management, human resources management and technology. The CFAO will help support the corporations’ work on Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and efforts to become antiracist organizations, and will oversee the Information Technology Director and, with the President/CEO, the Director of Human Resources & Culture. The CFAO reports to the President/CEO and Boards of Directors and is a member of the Executive Management Team and Senior Management Teams of the organizations.
Responsibilities of the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer will include but not be limited to:
Budgeting, Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Lead the annual budgeting process under the direction of the President/CEO;
- Prepare accurate, timely and transparent financial reports for the President, Boards of Directors and Finance Committee throughout the year;
- Provide appropriate and timely analysis to the President and Finance Committee outlining trends and emerging issues or concerns;
Accounting, Internal Controls and Reporting:
- Ensure the accuracy, timeliness and efficiency of all accounting, financial records and reporting;
- Ensure that appropriate financial controls, policies and procedures are in place and implemented;
- Support and oversee the completion of the annual audits for the corporations, ensuring timely submission of IRS Form 990 and various state charitable registrations;
- Assist in the development of budgets for grants, ensure appropriate records are kept for all grants, and provide timely and accurate reports for government and foundation grants;
Administration and Management:
- Oversee the Human Resources and Culture Department, ensuring appropriate recruitment, hiring, onboarding and disciplinary procedures are in place;
- Oversee the Information Technology Director, ensuring timely and accurate management of membership and donor records and IT support for the corporations;
- Oversee periodic review of the corporations’ insurance programs, including health insurance, office, liability and officer and director insurance, and other policies;
- Oversee core administrative functions, including management of the corporations’ offices, vehicles and equipment, insurance claims, file retention and management; lead review of contracts and agreements with vendors, consultants and other organizations;
- Assist in compliance with lobbying and elections law, ensuring timely and accurate reporting of activities to the Federal Elections Commission, Internal Revenue Service and other federal and state agencies;
- Manage relationships with legal counsel to obtain advice on issues related to human resources, intellectual property, and other matters.
- Assist in raising funds to support organizational programs and priorities;
- Carry out such other assignments as directed by the President.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent professional training and experience; CPA preferred;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in a management role overseeing finance and accounting operations in the non-profit sector;
- Proficient with spreadsheets, including pivot tables and financial functions, and accounting software;
- Knowledge of non-profit GAAP and IRS requirements for preparation of financial statements and Form 990;
- Experience administering restricted grants and preparing financial reports for grants;
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and equity and experience working with diverse communities and staff;
- Superior interpersonal skills, good problem-solver;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience working with Boards of Directors and Board committees;
- Computer competency and working with cloud-based file sharing systems.
Send your resume and cover letter via email to Robert Wendelgass, President & CEO at CFAOsearch@cleanwater.org. Include names and contact information for three references including past employers.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Preferred locations for the CFAO include Clinton Township MI (suburban Detroit); Boston MA; Philadelphia PA; Washington DC; Minneapolis MN. Other Clean Water Action/Clean Water Fund offices are located in Ann Arbor and East Lansing MI; Montclair and Long Branch NJ; Pittsburgh PA; Providence RI; Austin TX; Oakland CA.