2022 Maryland Summer Internships
Since our founding during the campaign to pass the landmark Clean Water Act in 1972, Clean Water Action has worked to win strong health and environmental protections by bringing issue expertise, solution-oriented thinking and people power to the table. We work to protect our environment, health, economic well-being and community quality of life. Clean Water Action organizes strong grassroots groups and coalitions, and campaigns to elect environmental candidates and to solve environmental and community problems.
In 2022, our Maryland office is seeking several volunteer interns (undergraduate, students, graduate students or others) to work with us during the summer and/or fall on several of our ongoing campaigns. Our 2022 priorities include:
- Organizing to demand improvements to Baltimore City’s policies on sewage backups into homes.
- Developing priority legislation to advance composting, recycling, and source reduction efforts in counties across Maryland.
- Building the Reclaim Renewable Energy Coalition and moving Maryland to stop subsidizing false solutions like trash incineration and factory farm biogas as “renewable energy.”
- Working with the Mid-Atlantic Justice Coalition to develop educational materials and build community-led demands for environmental justice in Maryland.
An intern working with us might:
- Research environmental problems and develop accessible educational materials, from graphics and videos to research papers and reports.
- Meet with community organizations, leaders, and elected officials about environmental and public health problems.
- Process public data to make it more accessible to the public including through GIS mapping, mathematical analysis, developing infographics, etc.
- Attend meetings with legislators and other stakeholders in advance of Maryland’s 2023 legislative session.
- Develop engaging social media strategies to build public education on priority issues.
We will work with interested candidates to find the right alignment of interest, experience, availability, and course credit needs to develop a work plan that meets the student’s needs. The internship will be all-remote with a very flexible schedule.