Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an experienced full-time Accountant. Clean Water Action (CWA) is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are committed to becoming anti-racist organizations. The Accountant will be a critical part of the Financial team at Clean Water and support the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO) in an effort to assure the budget management, compliance with laws and regulations. The Accountant will prepare financial reports to track the organizations assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related financial activities. This role supports our national and state budgetary needs. This position requires an inspiring, collaborative, courageous, innovative, visionary leader with outstanding financial and management skills.
Clean Water Action’s financial team are located in Clinton Township, MI. Staff will have the option to work remotely some of the time but will need to be within commuting distance of the Metro Detroit area.
- Performs general cost accounting and other related duties in the accounting department.
- Prepares periodic (monthly) balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements.
- Maintains the general ledger.
- Codes invoices, sets up new accounts, reconciles accounts, and closes the monthly books.
- Reconciles bank accounts at least monthly, verifies deposits, and addresses inquiries from banks.
- Reconciles customer accounts and manages accounts receivable collections.
- Verifies payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts.
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit.
- Files required tax forms with federal, state, and local government agencies.
- As appropriate, coordinates with software vendor to maintain accounting software system; recommends updates to enhance the accounting software.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Maintenance of budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field required.
- At least 10 years of experience in finance and/or accounting with at least 5 years with a Non-Profit organization.
- Knowledge MIP Accounting software is required.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
- Cultural competency in interacting with people from a variety of economic, racial, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Must demonstrate attention to detail and good record-keeping skills to meet state and federal tax and nonprofit regulations.
- Exhibit outstanding communication skills for working with front-line staff, management and board members, plus vendors, community donors and others.
- Possess knowledge of accounting systems with an emphasis on fund accounting, endowment/gift accounting, etc. as well as experience in financial reporting and analysis.
- Ability to create, understand, interpret, develop and communicate policies and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all positions that will work in our offices or travel in our vehicles. Proof of vaccination will be required for applicants for this position.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Email letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Internal candidates should talk with their supervisor first.