California Water Programs Associate
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund seeks a full-time program associate to support California's Water Program. We are looking for candidates who are organized, detail-oriented, independent, and able to meet deadlines on time while juggling multiple projects and tasks. The associate will perform communications tasks, track legislation, coordinate communications with allies, and work on policy development and implementation for the organization's groundwater, safe drinking water, and agricultural sustainability projects. California's Water Program has a strong focus on water equity, including implementation of the Human Right to Water, promoting sustainable groundwater management, and reducing the impact of agriculture on local communities. This is an excellent entry-level job in the environmental field, working with environmental justice advocates and organizations.
Clean Water Action is a national citizens' organization working for clean, safe, and affordable water, prevention of health-threatening pollution, creation of environmentally-safe jobs and businesses, and empowerment of people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund organizes strong grassroots groups, coalitions, and campaigns to protect our environment, health, economic well-being, and community quality of life.
Clean Water Action’s California offices are located in Oakland, CA. Staff will have the option to work remotely some of the time but will need to be within commuting distance of the Bay Area or Sacramento.
Primary duties include:
- Assist state director in developing and coordinating public and media communication efforts.
- Create communications content, including draft emails, web content, and social media posts.
- Coordinate engagement among organizations, national and state NGOs, and local community groups.
- Track legislation and policy initiatives for the water program.
- Work with State Director and program staff to implement the water program.
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree or higher, or commensurate experience (professional or volunteer) with a non-profit organization.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with social media.
- A commitment to cultural competence, racial justice, equity, and experience working with diverse communities and staff.
- Background in and understanding of environmental justice.
Preferred candidates will also have:
- Communications background and expertise.
- Fluency in Spanish, both written and spoken.
- Experience in policy review and analysis.
- Expertise in tracking, quantifying, and reporting metrics.
Email letter of interest and resume to Jennifer Clary at email@example.com. The email's subject line should be "Application for Water Associate Position." Internal candidates should talk with their supervisor before applying.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.