Massachusetts Fall 2021 Internship
Position: Communications/ Campaigns intern
Location: 88 Broad St. Boston, MA 02110 (Remote)*
Clean Water Action has 1 internship position available for the fall of 2021 in the Boston office (virtual for the foreseeable future).
Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that works to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, elect pro-environment candidates to public office, and help communities address local environmental problems.
Top issue priorities include: preventing harm to our health from toxic chemicals, promoting clean energy and climate justice, getting lead and other contaminants out of drinking water, advocating for Zero Waste policies, and electing pro-environment candidates to public office. Ensuring that those most affected by environmental degradation have a voice at the table, and that solutions to environmental problems contribute to broader goals of justice for all, are central principles of all our campaigns.
The Campaigns and communications intern will work with Clean Water’s Youth Action Collaborative as well as our Drinking Water and Toxics team on reducing lead in drinking water and getting toxic chemicals out of consumer products. This internship will emphasize communications work (especially social media) and member engagement- with a particular focus on strengthening our volunteer program.
*Clean Water Action is working remotely through the pandemic. We are prepared to support an intern remotely through the duration of this internship with the option to switch to in person should the opportunity present itself (we will not require that interns switch to in-person should we return to the office). Candidates must be able to complete work and communicate virtually through email, google docs, and slack. Familiarity with zoom a plus.
Responsibilities will be assigned based on experience, skills, and interest as well as campaign needs. Tasks may include:
- Writing content for website articles, blog posts, email communications, etc.;
- Assisting in putting together campaign materials and research
- Helping with the creation and execution of programming for the Youth Action Collaborative
- Coordinating with staff on projects and events related to our campaigns
- Conducting research
- Conducting community outreach
- Assisting in development and presentation of webinars
- Social media outreach interfacing with our different ongoing campaigns
- Conducting outreach and managing ongoing engagement of volunteer database
- Administrative and other tasks as needed.
Minimum of 16 hours per week commitment for a 3 month period, or longer, required.
Clean Water Action values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- High School degree
- Passion for protecting human health and the environment
- Strong interest in communications work
- Good communication skills
- Solid computer skills (competent in working with Word, Excel, Google docs, etc.);
- Well organized
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Good writing skills a plus
- Good understanding of environmental justice a plus
- Interest and engagement with other social justice issues a plus
Familiarity with campaign organizing in a variety of racial and socio-economic communities, and/or communications is highly desired.
To apply send resume and a brief statement of your interest in organizing for the environment to Maureo Fernandez y Mora email@example.com.