Minnesota Campaign Organizer - Environmental Health & Justice
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an energetic and experienced organizer to grow and support the organizations’ campaigns in Minnesota to protect public health by reducing exposure to toxics including lead and other chemicals, to protect access to safe drinking water, and to work for access to affordable, sustainably grown food. Ensuring that those most affected by environmental degradation have a voice at the table, and that solutions to environmental problems contribute to broader goals of justice for all, are central goals for all of our campaigns.
The position is based in our Minneapolis office, there may be opportunities to work outside of the metro area as well. Clean Water Action is a 501(c)(4) national organization with 50,000 Minnesota members that works for clean, safe affordable water, prevention of health threatening pollution, creation of environmentally safe jobs and empowerment of people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization providing education, organizing and technical assistance to strengthen grassroots environmental efforts.
- Develop and coordinate environmental health campaign work, cultivate new and existing partnerships with individuals and organizations representing a diverse range of constituencies including labor unions, communities of color, public health organizations, and other potential allies;
- Conduct on-line, and when appropriate, in-person organizing efforts, building and supporting public outreach activities, and conducting outreach and mobilization efforts to engage members and the public in campaign activities;
- Recruit, train, and lead a strong volunteer leadership team;
- Represent the organizations to regional and national campaigns and coalitions;
- Help fundraise to support campaign activities;
- Provide support to Clean Water’s field and phone canvasses, including briefings and training materials; and,
- Carry out other activities as directed by supervisor.
- A minimum of two years of successful professional community and on-line organizing experience, preferably in environmental, social justice or election campaigns;
- Experience working with low income communities and/or communities of color strongly desired;
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience preparing and delivering public presentations;
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities;
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in fast paced, dynamic work environment;
- Ability to work both independently and in a team;
- Research and computer skills;
- Well-organized and self-motivated;
- Knowledge of public health, pollution issues and/or food systems helpful;
- Awareness of field and phone canvasses; and,
- Available for occasional evenings and weekends.
Email a letter of interest and a resume to Deanna White at firstname.lastname@example.org. Internal candidates please notify your supervisor before applying.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.