National Communications Director
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a National Communications Director to oversee our communications efforts across the US, including member communication, social media and traditional media. Clean Water Action is a national organization working for clean, safe, affordable water, prevention of health-threatening pollution, creation of environmentally safe jobs and businesses, and empowering people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues relating to water, waste, and toxics.
Clean Water’s campaigns focus on conserving and protecting water resources, safe-guarding drinking water, reducing toxic chemicals in our water and products, combatting climate change and protecting communities that live near fossil fuel facilities, and fighting the single-use plastic tsunami. Clean Water has a three-person national Communications team that provides support to national and state staff, maintaining the organizations’ websites, sending regular emails to supporters, orchestrating national social media work and maintaining relationships with traditional media reporters.
The Communications Director is a member of several senior staff teams, including Clean Water’s Executive, Senior, and National Management teams, helping direct the overall work of the organizations.
Overall responsibility for leading and developing Clean Water’s communication work nationally and in our states, including the following:
- Develop and implement Clean Water’s communications strategy, advancing the organizations’ issue and electoral campaigns, recruiting and engaging members, and raising funds for the organizations.
- Oversee Clean Water’s web presence, email communication to supporters, social media presence, and engagement with regional and national media outlets.
- Coordinate national communications activities and provide strategic advice and guidance to state offices in developing and implementing their state/local communications plans.
- Maintain Clean Water’s visual and written style, including managing the organization’s relationship with contract graphic designers and translators.
- Hire, train and supervise other national communications staff; advise and assist states with communications hires and consultants. Help mentor state communications staff.
- Help build and advance Clean Water, participating in staff leadership committees, including the Executive, Senior, and National Management Teams.
- Support Clean Water’s efforts to become an anti-racist organization, developing and implementing an annual Racial Justice Plan and communicating our work with BIPOC communities and on environmental justice issues.
- Represent Clean Water with other national organizations and coalitions, public officials, funders, and the media.
- Partner with the Development Department to develop and implement digital strategies to raise funds from members/supporters and the general public.
- Regular travel to occasional national gatherings is required.
LOCATION: While all Clean Water staff will continue working remotely a significant part of their time, our preference is for the Communications Director to work in a Clean Water office on a part-time basis as well. Clean Water offices are located in Washington DC; Oakland CA; Hartford CT; Baltimore MD; Boston and Northampton MA; Ann Arbor, East Lansing, and Clinton Township MI; Minneapolis MN; Montclair and Long Branch NJ; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh PA; Providence RI; Austin TX.
- Five to seven years experience in communications work at state and/or national nonprofits, with at least two years supervising other staff. Environmental experience preferred though not required. Experience with grassroots and coalition organizing and campaigns is desirable, as is experience with electoral campaigns.
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and equity, and experience working with diverse communities and staff. Multilingual candidates fluent in Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience with digital fundraising.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership to build the organization and its programs.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, mentoring, and developing staff, interns, and volunteers, including people located in different cities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, computer literacy, ability to multi-task in dynamic work environment.
TO APPLY: Email resume to CommsDirectorSearch@cleanwater.org along with letter of interest. Internal candidates, please contact your supervisor. Multilingual candidates fluent in Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund require COVID-19 vaccinations for all persons who will work in our offices. Proof of vaccination will be required for applicants for this position.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.