PA Environmental Justice Organizer
This position will involve coordinating and organizing local campaigns for clean water, clean air, and a healthy environment in southeast Pennsylvania, and to assist with CWA’s state and national campaigns. The primary responsibilities of this position will be to work with community partners and residents in low-income and communities of color in Philadelphia to address the hazards of lead exposure and to establish green spaces that address stormwater pollution. The main focus of CWA’s state campaigns are protecting children state-wide from lead exposure and working for a state Environmental Justice policy that better protects communities of color from excessive pollution. At the national level, CWA is focused on restoring and expanding clean water protections that the Trump Administration weakened or removed, and ensuring major federal action to address climate change. Clean Water Action works at the federal, state, and local levels to elect pro-environment candidates.
- Conduct community outreach and education on the hazards of lead exposure from drinking water, dust, soil, and paint in low-income and communities of color in Philadelphia.
- Work with community partners to support community outreach and education on issues of stormwater pollution as well as support implementing model greening opportunities in low-income and communities of color in Philadelphia.
- Organize residents within regional EJ communities to identify additional environmental threats affecting them and pressure policymakers to make addressing those issues a priority.
- Assist other local campaigns that help residents address pollution problems that threaten their health.
- Support identified state and national campaigns.
- Assist with voter education efforts on environmental issues, and through Clean Water Action, help elect pro-environment candidates.
- Help coordinate media and public relations activities in southeast Pennsylvania.
- Help with local fundraising activities.
- Provide support for Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses.
This position is a permanent, full-time position. Salary range is in the mid-40’s and is based on experience. Attractive benefits package.
- Paid or volunteer experience in issue organizing or community/neighborhood-based campaigns. Must have experience in community outreach and campaign strategy and development. Over one year’s paid experience preferred.
- Experience working in low-income and communities of color preferred
- Experience with canvass programs, including management of field outreach staff/volunteers desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of environmental policy and public health issues.
Send your resume to Myron Arnowitt, Pennsylvania Director, Clean Water Action by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application taken until position filled. Internal candidates should contact their supervisors first.