Philadelphia Community Organizer
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an experienced Community Organizer to work in our Philadelphia office on health related environmental issues in Philadelphia and Southeast Pennsylvania. Clean Water Action (CWA) is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
This position will involve organizing community and civic involvement and coordinating local campaigns for clean water, clean air and a healthy environment in southeast Pennsylvania, and to assist with CWA’s state and national campaigns. Primary responsibilities of this position will be to conduct community outreach, education, and organizing on threats to safe drinking water, including from toxic PFAS chemicals and lead contamination, and supporting campaigns to reduce and eliminate plastics use. CWA is working at the state level to require universal testing of children for lead exposure, ban products in Pennsylvania that contain PFAS chemicals and require the oil and gas industry in Pennsylvania to reduce their climate impact through a methane reduction rule on existing wells and pipelines. Nationally, CWA is a leader in working to resist the Trump Administration’s efforts to rollback federal clean water and clean air protections, and to eviscerate EPA.
- Organize community-based campaigns for clean air and water, helping residents address pollution problems that threaten their health.
- Community outreach, education and organizing on safe drinking water, including work on PFAS contamination in Southeast Pennsylvania, and lead hazards in Philadelphia.
- Support efforts to reduce and eliminate plastics use in Philadelphia, especially those focused on single use plastic bags.
- Work on state and national campaigns to protect water resources, address climate change, and to stop Trump Administration rollbacks of federal environmental protections.
- Assist with voter education efforts on environmental issues, and through Clean Water Action, help elect pro-environment candidates.
- Help coordinate media and public relations activities in southeast Pennsylvania.
- Help with local fundraising activities.
- Provide support for Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- Paid or volunteer experience in issue organizing or community/neighborhood-based campaigns. Must have experience in community outreach and campaign strategy and development. Over one year’s paid experience preferred.
- Demonstrated research skills.
- Experience with canvass programs, including management of field outreach staff/volunteers highly desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of environmental policy and public health issues.
How to Apply:
Send your resume to Myron Arnowitt, Pennsylvania Director, Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application taken until position filled. Internal candidates should contact their supervisors first.
This position is a permanent, full-time position. Salary is based on experience. Attractive benefits package.
Tuesday, June 18, 2019