Pittsburgh Environmental Justice Organizer
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an experienced community organizer to work in our Pittsburgh office as our Environmental Justice Organizer on health related environmental issues in the Pittsburgh area. Clean Water Action (CWA) is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
This position will involve coordinating and organizing local campaigns for clean water, clean air and a healthy environment in the Pittsburgh area, and to assist with CWA’s state and national campaigns. The primary responsibility of this position will be to work on community outreach and education on the hazards of lead exposure in low-income communities of color in Pittsburgh. The main focus of CWA’s state campaigns is to stop climate change by reducing methane emissions of the oil and gas industry. Nationally, CWA is a leader in working to resist the Administration’s efforts to rollback federal clean water and clean air protections, and to eviscerate EPA.
- Organize community-based campaigns for clean air and water, helping residents address pollution problems that threaten their health.
- Conduct community outreach and education on the hazards of exposure from lead in drinking water in Pittsburgh. Assist and organize residents with lead exposure threats in their homes.
- Work on state and national campaigns to protect water resources, address climate change, and to stop Trump Administration rollbacks of federal environmental protections.
- Assist with voter education efforts on environmental issues, and through Clean Water Action, help elect pro-environment candidates.
- Help coordinate media and public relations activities in the Pittsburgh region.
- Help with local fundraising activities.
- Provide support for Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses.
- Paid or volunteer experience in issue organizing or community/neighborhood-based campaigns. Must have experience in community outreach and campaign strategy and development. Over one year’s paid experience preferred.
- Experience working in diverse communities including low-income and communities of color.
- Experience with canvass programs, including management of field outreach staff/volunteers highly desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of environmental policy and public health issues.
Compensation: This position is full-time. Salary is based on experience. Attractive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Send your resume to Myron Arnowitt, Pennsylvania Director, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications taken until position filled. Internal candidates should contact their supervisors first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.