ReThink Disposable Engagement Coordinator, California
Clean Water Action is a national organization working for clean, safe and affordable water, prevention of health-threatening pollution, creation of environmentally safe jobs and businesses, and empowering people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund organizes strong grassroots coalitions and campaigns to protect our environment, health, economic well-being and quality of life.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are looking for an energetic ReThink Disposable Engagement Coordinator in the San Francisco Bay Area to coordinate ReThink’s food service businesses recruitment to change a food service system that relies on single-use disposable food and beverage packaging. ReThink Disposable is a data-driven waste reduction program that works with governments, businesses and institutions and consumers to prioritize reuse-centric food service to conserve resources and prevent waste and litter. The Bay Area’s amazing cultural and ethnic diversity is reflected in our robust restaurant industry. We’re looking for a motivated, multi-lingual candidate who can work with diverse businesses and individuals.
The ReThink Disposable Engagement Coordinator will coordinate and execute the program’s engagement activities in multiple jurisdictions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and play a key role in developing partnerships to advance and improve the program. This job requires an individual with that special knack of persuasion, someone who is professional, pleasantly persistent, has excellent communications skills, makes friends fast, and thrives on helping people be more planet-forward. Past experience in canvassing is very useful, as this job requires extensive in-person visits to prospective ReThink Disposable businesses. Since this work is mostly in the field (3 days per week at least), the individual will be expected to schedule their own days, optimizing routes to reach as many businesses as possible each day, and be okay with working alone and self-motivating.
Experience in zero waste or waste reduction is a plus. The Engagement Coordinator will be expected, with the assistance of the ReThink Program Director, to identify reusable solutions, sometimes for very specific client needs.
Primary duties include:
- Conduct field outreach and recruit businesses to participate in ReThink Disposable program, with a focus on engaging businesses owned and managed by Black, indigenous, people of color, women, and/or non-English monolingual individuals;
- Support ReThink Program Director in contract administration and development of new contracts and proposals;
- Assist with creating and translating ReThink Disposable internal/external communications needs such as program promotion, marketing, and sharing business accomplishments;
- Meet targets for recruiting business participants on time and with significant results;
- Participate in meetings to plan, coordinate, and implement ReThink Disposable program;
- Foster existing and new partnerships with zero-waste and community-based organizations to further the mission of the program in a collaborative fashion by requesting, hosting, and facilitating meetings with allies;
- Perform other duties as directed by Supervisors.
- Able to communicate effectively with businesses and the public (canvass experience a plus); good writing skills needed as well;
- Fluency in a language in addition to English (preference for Spanish) is a plus;
- Experience in the food service industry;
- Experience in managing contracts and writing reports;
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and equity and experience working with diverse communities and staff;
- Very organized, detail-oriented, able to work independently, meet deadlines and complete assignments on time while juggling multiple projects and tasks;
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some lifting and transporting of materials will be required; having your own personal vehicle is a plus;
- Basic knowledge of water, waste, climate change, marine debris and plastics pollution a plus; passion for environment and environmental justice is a plus.
To Apply: Email letter of interest and resume to ReThinkDisposable@cleanwater.org. Internal candidates should talk with their supervisor first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.