Rhode Island Communications and Campaign Intern
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund has one internship position open for the spring of 2022 in our Providence, Rhode Island office.
Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that works to protect the environment, safeguard public health, promote strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems.
Our priorities include: preventing harm to our health from toxic chemicals, reducing water pollution through policy and effective stormwater management, reducing trash and plastic pollution through source reduction programs and policies, working to slow the climate crisis, and electing pro-environment candidates to public office. We center equity and environmental justice in our work and recognize the intersectional nature of environmental and public health concerns with other social justice issues.
The Communications and Campaign Intern will work with Clean Water’s program team on our legislative and issue campaigns, including—but not limited to—getting toxic chemicals out of consumer products, reducing plastic pollution, addressing the climate crisis, reducing lead in drinking water, and improving ballot access. They will also assist the state director in state and local elections work. The internship will emphasize electronic communications work, especially social media and member engagement.
*Clean Water Action is working remotely through the pandemic. We are prepared to support an intern remotely through the duration of this internship with the option to switch to in-person should the opportunity present itself (we will not require that interns switch to in-person should we return to the office). Candidates must be able to complete work and communicate virtually through email and Google Docs. Familiarity with Zoom is desired.
- Writing content for website articles, blog posts, email communications, etc.;
- Assisting in putting together campaign materials and research;
- Coordinating with staff on projects and events related to our campaigns;
- Conducting community outreach;
- Assisting in development and presentation of webinars;
- Helping to coordinate and promote spring fundraising events;
- Researching and sharing campaign-relative content on social media channels;
- Assisting with candidate endorsements;
- Administrative and other tasks as needed;
- Additional responsibilities will be assigned based on experience, skills, and interest, as well as campaign needs.
- Get in-depth knowledge of climate, toxic chemical, and waste reduction policies;
- Practice your writing skills;
- Learn how to promote and plan for a fundraising event;
- Learn about the RI legislative process and attend meetings with legislators;
- Participate in trainings on cultural competency.
Commitment:Minimum of 16 hours per week commitment for a 4-month period, or longer, required.
Clean Water Action values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- High School diploma;
- Passion for protecting human health and the environment;
- Strong interest in communications work;
- Good communication skills;
- Solid computer skills (competent in working with Word, Excel, Google docs, etc.);
- Well organized;
- Able to work independently and in a team environment;
- Strong writing skills;
- Good understanding of environmental justice a plus;
- Interest and engagement with other social justice issues are a plus
- Familiarity with campaign organizing in a variety of racial and socio-economic communities and/or communications is highly desired.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title in the subject line.