Rhode Island Development Intern
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund has one internship position open for the spring of 2022 in our Providence, Rhode Island office.
Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that works to protect the environment, safeguard public health, promote strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems.
Our priorities include: preventing harm to our health from toxic chemicals, reducing water pollution through policy and effective stormwater management, reducing trash and plastic pollution through source reduction programs and policies, working to slow the climate crisis, and electing pro-environment candidates to public office. We center equity and environmental justice in our work and recognize the intersectional nature of environmental and public health concerns with other social justice issues.
The Development Intern will work with Clean Water’s program team on our spring fundraising efforts, including—but not limited to—event planning, social media content creation, member outreach, and grant research and writing. The internship will emphasize electronic communications work, especially social media and member engagement.
*Clean Water Action is working remotely through the pandemic. We are prepared to support an intern remotely through the duration of this internship with the option to switch to in-person should the opportunity present itself (we will not require that interns switch to in-person should we return to the office). Candidates must be able to complete work and communicate virtually through email and Google Docs. Familiarity with Zoom is desired.
- Writing content for website articles, blog posts, email communications, etc.;
- Coming up with video content for development efforts;
- Assisting with planning our two spring fundraising events;
- Researching potential grant opportunities;
- Helping to write grant proposals;
- Helping to promote spring fundraising events;
- Researching and sharing campaign-relative content on social media channels;
- Administrative and other tasks as needed;
- Additional responsibilities will be assigned based on experience, skills, interest, and campaign needs.
- Get in-depth knowledge of climate, toxic chemical, and waste reduction policies;
- Practice grant writing skills;
- Learn how to promote and plan for a fundraising event;
- Learn about the RI legislative process and attend meetings with legislators;
- Participate in trainings on cultural competency.
Minimum of 16 hours per week commitment for a 4-month period, or longer, required.
Clean Water Action values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- High School diploma;
- Passion for protecting human health and the environment;
- Strong interest in communications work;
- Good communication skills;
- Comfortable making phone calls to members/supporters;
- Solid computer skills (competent in working with Word, Excel, Google docs, etc.);
- Well organized;
- Able to work independently and in a team environment;
- Strong writing skills;
- Good understanding of environmental justice a plus;
- Interest and engagement with other social justice issues a plus;
- Familiarity with campaign organizing in a variety of racial and socio-economic communities and/or communications is highly desired.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include the position title in the subject line.