The Fight for Safer Chemicals - June 2014
Legislative Session Wrap-Up
We were very disappointed that Senate Bill 126 did not get called for a vote during this short legislative session; however, we are so proud of all the accomplishments we achieved together! Here is a list of some of the highlights:
- Formally launched the Connecticut Campaign for Toxic Free Kids along with a website and Facebook page
- Had broad support of our bill from the Department of Public Health and 47 legislative co-sponsors
- Conducted dozens of presentations and community forums across the state
- Two legislative committees took the lead in introducing our bill
- Had two positive meetings with Governor Malloy’s staff to garner support
- Had numerous opinion pieces and letters to the editor in newspapers around the state
- Partnered with the owner of Brown Saddle Films, film producer Ed Brown and business leaders in Greenwich to screen “Unacceptable Levels” and discuss our legislative work
- Hosted an amazing Rally at the Capitol with numerous Coalition partners, legislative champions, activists and former UCONN men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun urging support of our bill to protect children’s health.
- Delivered petitions with thousands of signatures to Governor Malloy urging him to support our bill
Clean Water is continuing to work on raising awareness of the health impacts of toxic chemicals in communities across the state and push for more health protective policies. We are looking forward to meetings with the Governor's staff and Executive officials to advance our policy goals and to create innovative ways to reduce exposure to toxic chemicals.
Pushing for Market Changes!
Join us on July 14th as we press Walgreens, the nation's largest drugstore, to shift to safer alternatives! Our team of activists willl be headed to Walgreens stores to educate the store manager about toxic chemicals. Plus, we'll be coordinating this action with our colleagues from all across the U.S. and sharing our collective work on facebook and twitter! It is a fun way to get involved and we hope to get some press there too!
Want to Host a Party and Get More Involved? We Can Help!!
You invite your friends and neighbors and we'll do the rest!
We show a short film "Contamined Without Consent" and then talk about the problems of toxic chemicals in products and offer practical solutions as well as share our work with state leaders to press for common-sense reforms. It's fun and informative and an easy way to make a big difference!!
Stop by and see us!
Clean Water Action is now located at 2074 Park St., Suite 308, Hartford, CT 06106