Climate change poses a massive threat to our state, yet strong actions to counter it offer an opportunity to prepare New Jersey for the future by cutting greenhouse gas emissions, reducing dangerous deadly air pollution, moving toward a truly clean energy future, and creating and securing good, family-sustaining clean energy and green infrastructure jobs.
Clean Water Action is a proud member of Jersey Renews, a broad-coalition of labor, faith, community and environmental organizations launched in response to the urgency of the situation and to urge our elected officials to act now. New Jersey should be a leader in progressive policy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution while maintaining and creating jobs, and economic benefits for those most affected.
We support these GOALS:
1. Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Achieve greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction goals by cutting economy-wide GHG emissions 80 percent from 2005 levels by 2050 in a science-based, socially just manner with an implementation plan and clear targets.
- Improve fuel efficiency of transportation sector
- Reduce methane, a potent GHG
- Retrofit buildings to increase efficiency and safety
- Protect against environmental and economic leakage
- Ensure climate-friendly compliance flexibility
- Support a comprehensive energy infrastructure investment program
2. Increase Clean Energy
Expand the state’s renewable energy commitments aggressively to reach at least 30 percent clean energy by 2025,
50 percent by 2035 and 80 percent by 2050 and with clear interim benchmarks to measure progress.
- Improve energy efficiency savings
- Expand energy efficiency technologies at industrial facilities
- Support offshore wind
- Increase funding and end all Clean Energy Fund, and other dedicated fund, budget raids
- Increase support for research & development
3. Ensure Good Jobs and Protections for Workers & Communities
- Protect existing jobs and expand opportunities creating 100,000 new family-sustaining jobs in our state.
- Guarantee labor-friendly policies
- Prevent off-shoring
- Reduce air pollution
- Create a public bank
- Establish a thermal hazard standard
- Commit to a statewide weatherization & energy efficiency workforce development program
- Target resources
- Pursue domestic sourcing
- Protect the vulnerable
We want environmental justice, clean renewable energy, good jobs, and protections for workers and communities. www.jerseyrenews.org
- 32BJ Service Employees International Union, Amalgamated Transit Union – NJ State Council, BlueWaveNJ,
- CATA - The Farmworker Support Committee/El Comite de Apoyo a los Trabajadores Agricolas,
- Clean Water Action New Jersey, Communications Workers of America (CWA) NJ, as well as CWA Locals 1036, 1037, 1081 and 1085, Delaware Riverkeeper, Environment NJ, Green Muslims of New Jersey,
- Health Professionals & Allied Employees, Housing and Community Development Network of NJ,
- Islamic Center of Central Jersey, Isles, La Casa de Don Pedro, Latino Action Network, Make the Road NJ,
- Moms Clean Air Force NJ, New Labor, NJ Education Association, NJ Policy Perspective,
- NJ Public Interest Research Group, NJ Working Families Alliance, NJ Work Environment Council, GreenFaith, Rutgers American Association of University Professors -AFT, Shore Nurses Union, Sierra Club-NJ,
- the Unitarian Universalist Legislative Ministry, United Steelworkers District 4, and Wind of the Spirit.